Saturday, June 22, 2013

Summer Reading Project #1: Agatha Christie - The Pale Horse

            There’s a story behind this book – it was the very first Christie book I’ve ever read, when I was about eleven or twelve. I came across it by accident, when my mum and I were sorting through a bunch of books we got from somebody, selecting the ones we wanted to keep. I chose to read this because of one simple, childish reason: I was going through my Charmed-phase back then, which, in Hungarian, is titled Bűbájos boszorkák – “bűbájos” can either mean “charming” or “one wielding magical powers”, while “boszorkák” means witches – and this book was titled Bűbájos gyilkosok in Hungarian – which approximately means “Charming Murderers”. Same word, it got my attention. I read it.
            I couldn’t really appreciate it back then, and almost completely forgot about it after reading.
            But then a few weeks ago I was coming up from the subway, and there was a girl standing in front of me on the escalator, with this very book in her hand – it was even the same version.
            It was a sign.
            Then, some time later my friend Flóra and I visited this very low-profile second-hand bookshop, and there, while browsing through the books, I found this little gem: same book, same cover, same version – printed in 1984. Of course I bought it.
            But the exams were breathing down my neck, so I didn’t have much to read it, until this Wednesday, when I finally, finally took my last exam. After that, I needed less than thirty-six hours to finish the book.
            Okay, story-time done, let’s talk about the novel itself a bit.
            As far as I know, it’s one of Christie’s lesser known works – it’s neither a Miss Marple nor a Poirot – although there’s a character, who’s technically Christie’s alter ego, who knows him. Our narrator is a certain Mark Easterbrook, an author who writes books on art history. He, on several accidental occasions, hears about a former inn of sorts, allegedly owned by ‘witches’, called The Pale Horse – and, at the same time, he, through a friend, hears the story of a murdered priest, who, at the time of his death, had a list of names on him, dictated to him by a dying woman – the only problem is that three people from the list are already dead.
            Things happen, acquaintances are made, and Mark slowly links the deaths to the witches of The Pale Horse. He suspects, although even he can’t really believe it, that the deaths of the people from the list – although all of them appear to be completely natural – are, in fact, caused by black magic.
            And so the investigation begins.
            I won’t say that it was completely satisfactory. The idea is awesome, the start is awesome, the scene with Mark and Christie’s alter ego is awesome, but after about a hundred pages, the story somewhat… dulls down. Of course, the ending, the revelation of the real killer is stunning and surprising, but the middle part of the novel somewhat feels­ rushed.
            Although, what I really liked in this book is Ginger. She’s a lovely, lively young woman, partner in crime/investigation of Mark. When he has doubts, when he doesn’t know what he should do – if he should do anything –, Ginger is right there beside him, pushing him forward, coming up with crazy and dangerous ideas. So, yeah – I really liked her.
            So, all in all, it was a delighting book. Not Christie’s best, I assume, but still entertaining.

Summer reading project progress: 254/10000

No comments:

Post a Comment